Organized by Joshua Chuang, Associate Curator of Photographs and Digital Media, and
Jock Reynolds, the Henry J. Heinz II Director, both of the Yale University Art Gallery
Web Site Coordinators, Department of Prints, Drawings, and Photographs:
Rebecca Soderholm, the Marcia Brady Tucker Fellow
Gabriella Svenningsen, Museum Assistant
Pamela Franks, Deputy Director for Collections and Education
John ffrench, Director of Visual Resources
Ariana French, Digital Projects Manager and Collections Systems Administrator
Elizabeth Manekin, the John Walsh Fellow, Education Department
Christopher Sleboda, Director of Graphic Design
Tiffany Sprague, Director of Publications and Editorial Services
Adrienne Webb, Public Information Coordinator
Zsofia Jilling, Editorial Assistant
Ash Anderson, Ph.D. candidate, History of Art
Chantal Fernandez, Yale College, Class of 2012
Robert Liles, Yale College, Class of 2012
Marisa Poverman, B.A. 2010
Nicholas Robbins, B.A. 2010
Web site built by the Yale Center for Media and Instructional Innovation:
Paul Lawrence, Director
David Hirsch, Associate Director
Christopher Amelung, Senior Web Developer
Gabriel Rossi, Instructional Technologist
James Milam, Designer
Web site made possible with a gift from Allan K. Chasanoff, B.A. 1961
Exhibition and publications made possible by Helen D. Buchanan; Allan K. Chasanoff, B.A. 1961; the Samuel Freeman Charitable Trust; Nathaniel W. Gibbons, B.A. 1979; Betsy and Frank Karel; Saundra B. Lane; Melanie and Rick Mayer, B.A. 1982, and the MFUNd; Mark McCain and Caro MacDonald/Eye and I; Mr. and Mrs. Alexander K. McLanahan, B.A. 1949; Ms. Eliot Nolen, B.A. 1984, and Mr. Timothy P. Bradley, B.A. 1983; The Reed Foundation; Risher Randall, Sr., B.A. 1950; the Shamos Family Foundation; Mary Jo and Ted P. Shen, B.A. 1966, Hon. 2001; Jane P. Watkins, M.P.H. 1979; the Janet and Simeon Braguin Fund; and an endowment created with a challenge grant from the National Endowment for the Arts.
The acquisition of Robert Adams’s master prints was made possible through a gift from Saundra B. Lane, a grant from the Trellis Fund, and the Janet and Simeon Braguin Fund.
Robert Adams photographs © Robert Adams
Web site © Yale University Art Gallery. All rights reserved.
Cover of Family of Man courtesy Beinecke Rare Book and Manuscript Library, Yale University
Cover of This Is The American Earth courtesy Beinecke Rare Book and Manuscript Library, Yale University
Cover of Aperture, Issue No. 1, from 1952, courtesy the Aperture Foundation
Cover of Camera Work courtesy Rauner Special Collections Library, Dartmouth College
Postcards of Saint Fronleichnam Church, Aachen, Germany, designed by Rudolph Schwarz © 2010 Albert Renger-Patzsch Archiv/Ann u. Jürgen Wilde, Zülpich/Artist Rights Society (ARS), New York
New Topographics exhibition invitation and installation photographs courtesy George Eastman House, International Museum of Photography and Film
Turning Back installation photographs courtesy Haus der Kunst, Munich. Photographs by Wilfried Petzi
To Make It Home: Photographs of the American West 1965–1986 installation photographs courtesy the Philadelphia Museum of Art
Touraide Map of Colorado © Conoco, 1966, courtesy ConocoPhillips
Terms and Conditions:
Access to and use of the Yale University Art Gallery’s Robert Adams: The Place We Live Web site is subject to the following terms and conditions and all applicable laws. By accessing this Web site, you fully acknowledge, accept, and agree to comply with these terms and conditions, it being understood that the Yale University Art Gallery (the “Gallery”) may at any time revise these Terms and Conditions by updating this posting. You are bound by any such revisions and should therefore periodically visit this page to review the then-current Terms and Conditions.
1. Copyright. The data, images, software, documentation, text, and other information and materials contained on or made accessible through this Web site (collectively, the “Materials”) are protected by copyright laws and may be subject to other legal restrictions as well. Copyright and other proprietary rights may be held and retained by Yale University, Robert Adams, or other entities or individuals. The responsibility for determining whether the Gallery or some other party holds the relevant rights in a work of art or in any of the Materials remains solely with the user. The Gallery will have no responsibility for making any such determination, or in securing rights from any third party, for any user. Users are responsible for checking the applicable Credit section on the Web site and otherwise identifying any restrictions.
2. Limited Non-Commercial Use. The Gallery is making the Materials available for limited non-commercial, educational, and personal use only, in accordance with the fair-use provisions of United States copyright laws, subject to any additional terms or restrictions which may be applicable to the relevant work, file, or program. Users must cite the author or artist and source of the Materials as they would material from any printed work, and the citations should include the URL http://artgallery.yale.edu in addition to all copyright and any proprietary notices contained on the Materials. Any use of the Materials that does not qualify as fair use or is otherwise restricted is subject to the Gallery’s or other relevant rights holder’s prior written approval, and the user must request and receive such approval prior to any use. Copying or redistribution in any manner for commercial use, including commercial publication, or for personal gain is strictly prohibited without the express prior written permission of the Gallery or the relevant third-party rights holder, as the case may be.
4. Trademark. Many of the trademarks, service marks, and logos (collectively, the “Trademarks”) displayed on this site, including YALE UNIVERSITY ART GALLERY, are registered and/or unregistered marks of the Yale University Art Gallery. The Trademarks of third parties may also be displayed on this site. Nothing contained in this site should be construed as granting, by implication, estoppel, or otherwise, any license or right to use any Trademarks displayed on the site without the express written permission of the Gallery or any third party that may own the Trademarks displayed on the site. Any unauthorized use of the Trademarks or any other Materials, except as authorized in these Terms and Conditions, is strictly prohibited.
5. Warranty. Without limiting the foregoing, all Materials on the site are provided “AS IS” WITHOUT A WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR USE, AND/OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. The Gallery assumes no responsibility, and shall not be liable for, any damages to, or viruses that may infect, your computer equipment or other property on account of your use of the site or your downloading of any Materials from the site.
6. External Links and Linking Policy. Links to other sites may be provided on this Web site to material outside the Gallery’s control. The Gallery may include such links for the convenience of the user, but does not control or take responsibility for the content of any off-site pages or linked sites.
7. Permissions. Anyone wishing to use the Materials from this site for purposes other than as authorized herein must obtain prior written approval. Permission for such use is granted on a case-by-case basis at the sole discretion of the Gallery, or the relevant rights holder, as the case may be. A usage fee may be charged depending on the nature of the proposed use. For works of art from the Gallery collection reproduced on this site, in their entirety or as details, contact the Gallery’s Department of Rights and Reproduction. For all other images on the site, and for any text excerpts, contact the Gallery by e-mail: email@example.com.