Terms and Conditions
Frequently Asked Questions
Terms and Conditions
Access to and use of the Yale University Art Gallery's Web site is subject to the following terms and conditions and all applicable laws. By accessing this Web site, you fully acknowledge and accept these terms and conditions:
1. The Yale University Art Gallery retains all rights, including copyright, in data, images, software, documentation, text, and other information contained in these files (collectively, the "Materials") subject in some cases to third-party rights. Copyright and other proprietary rights may be held by individuals or entities other than, or in addition to, the Gallery.
2. The Gallery is making the Materials available for limited non-commercial, educational, and personal use only, in accordance with the fair use provisions of the copyright laws. Users may download these files for their personal or educational use, subject to any additional terms or restrictions, which may be applicable to the individual file or program. Users must cite the author and source of the Materials as they would material from any printed work, and the citations should include the URL "http://artgallery.yale.edu" in addition to all copyright and any proprietary notices contained on the Materials. Any use of the Materials that does not qualify as fair use is subject to the Gallery's prior written approval, and the user must request and receive such approval prior to any use. Copying or redistribution in any manner for commercial use, including commercial publication, or for personal gain is strictly prohibited, without the express prior written permission of the Gallery or the relevant third-party rights holder, as the case may be.
3. The Gallery does not warrant that the use of the Materials displayed on the site will not infringe the rights of third parties. For example, the rights to certain works of art, as well as photographs of those works, may be held by the artist or the artist's heirs and not the Gallery. The responsibility for determining whether the Gallery or some other party holds the relevant rights in a work of art or in any of the Materials remains solely with the user. The Gallery will have no responsibility for making any such determination, or in securing rights from a third party, for any user.
4. Many of the trademarks, service marks, and logos (collectively, the "Trademarks") displayed on this Site, including YALE UNIVERSITY ART GALLERY, are registered and/or unregistered marks of the Gallery. The Trademarks of third parties may also be displayed on this site. Nothing contained in this site should be construed as granting, by implication, estoppel, or otherwise, any license or right to use any Trademarks displayed on the site without the express written permission of the Gallery or any third party that may own the Trademarks displayed on the site. Any unauthorized use of the Trademarks or any other Materials, except as authorized in these Terms and Conditions, is strictly prohibited.
5. Without limiting the foregoing, all Materials on the site are provided "AS IS" WITHOUT A WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR USE, AND/OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. The Gallery assumes no responsibility, and shall not be liable for, any damages to, or viruses that may infect, your computer equipment or other property on account of your use of the site or your downloading of any Materials from the site.
6. The Gallery has not reviewed all of the sites linked to the site and is not responsible for the content of any off-site pages or other sites linked to the site. Your linking to any off-site pages or other sites is at your own risk.
7. The Gallery may at any time revise these Terms and Conditions by updating this posting. You are bound by any such revisions and should therefore periodically visit this page to review the then-current Terms and Conditions.
Frequently Asked Questions
May I put unaltered images or text from the Yale University Art Gallery Web site on a file server at my school or museum?
Yes, if there is no charge for the user and if electronic distribution is of limited term to your school or museum only. The images must remain unaltered. All of the accompanying caption information must be included without alteration, and the citation should include the URL "http://artgallery.yale.edu."
May I put unaltered images or text from the Yale University Art Gallery Web site on my personal Web site?
Yes, so long as the site takes in no advertisements and no sponsors, does not charge a fee for services, and does not offer any product or service for sale. The images must remain unaltered. All of the accompanying caption information must be included without alteration, and the citation should include the URL "http://artgallery.yale.edu."
May I put images or text from the Yale University Art Gallery Web site on a CD-ROM, public domain or otherwise?
May I print selected images or text excerpts from The Yale University Art Gallery site for a school report?
Yes, if it is a personal or academic work, and not for publication in any medium. The images must remain unaltered. All of the accompanying caption information must be included without alteration. You should cite the source as you would any printed work; the citation should include the URL "http://artgallery.yale.edu." This type of use is encouraged; all other forms of publication are expressly prohibited, without prior written permission.
How do I obtain permission for other forms of publication?
Anyone wishing to use the Materials from this Site for purposes other than as authorized herein must obtain prior written approval. Permission for such use is granted on a case-by-case basis at the sole discretion of the Gallery, or the relevant rights holder, as the case may be. A usage fee may be charged depending on the nature of the proposed use. For works of art from the Gallery collection reproduced on this site, in their entirety or as details, contact the Gallery's Department of Rights and Reproduction. For works of art from other museums or institutions reproduced on this site, contact the institution credited in the work's caption directly. For all other images on the site, and for any text excerpts, contact the Gallery's Web site by email: email@example.com.
The goal of http://artgallery.yale.edu is to enhance the experience of all visitors through offerings that encourage a broad range of in-depth experiences of art, providing information that inspires repeat visits to the Gallery's collection.
The site is created, managed, and maintained by the Department of Programs and External Affairs at the Yale University Art Gallery and was developed in collaboration with the Center for Media Initiatives at Yale.
Anna Hammond, Deputy Director, Programs and External Affairs
Project Management and Editorial
Amy Jean Porter, Assistant Editor
John ffrench, Manager, Department of Digital Media
Pamela Franks, Curator of Academic Initiatives, Anna Hammond, Amy Jean Porter
Marie Weltzien, Director of Public Relations
Claudia De Palma, Yale College '05
Christen Martosella, Yale College '06
Visual Resources staff, Yale University Art Gallery
Jeffrey Stuker, graduate student, Yale School of Art
Site Design, Development, and Programming
Paul Lawrence, Director and Executive Producer
David Hirsch, Associate Director and Senior Course Developer
Hong Ko, Art Director
Gregg Soltesz, Web Producer
Christopher Sleboda, Designer
Mark Aronson, David Barquist, Suzanne Boorsch, Dennis Carr, Helen Cooper, Robin Jaffee Frank, Patricia Garland, Susan Greenberg, Jennifer Gross, Richard Grossmann, Caroline Hannah, Lisa Hodermarsky, Patricia Kane, Laurence Kanter, Elise Kenney, Amy Kurtz-Lansing, John J. Marciari, Susan Matheson, William Metcalf, Rachael Montejo, Sadako Ohki, David Sensabaugh, Jill Westgard
Tracy Bergstrom, Suzanne Boorsch, Julia Corcoran, Louisa Cunningham, Susan Greenberg, Joe Hannan, Elise Kenney,
Alice Lorch (Yale College '05), Susan Matheson, Mark Swartz, Alberto Noriega, Lesley Tucker, Jill Westgard, Damaris Yeh (Yale College '05),
Jaime Ursic, Janet Zullo